Friday, November 12, 2010

...The Future Can't Come Soon Enough...

First and foremost, get your mind out of the gutter.

Ok now that we've gotten past that, the subtitle for this post should be "I am a MASSIVE Dorky McNerdface" (as if you didn't already know that from my two video game posts and one pokemon post...) But many of you may be wondering exactly what I mean when I say, the future. No I don't necessarily mean floating cars or space travel, nor do I mean that stupid dystopian mind control nonsense either. I'm talking simpler stuff, stuff that technically already exists...but that I don't have in my living room yet.

So here's the rundown.

What I want is simple, a fully integrated, fully networked, gesture based user interface program.

I'll wait for your head to stop spinning for a moment. All set? Good. In layman's terms, I want that fucking badass supercomputer thing that Tom Cruise uses at the beginning of Minority Report...if it had sex with Tony Stark's computer....
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwVBzx0LMNQ <-----This thing having sex with this thing--------> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYjlMflhysc&feature=related)

"But isn't that what the kinect is supposed to be?" You might be wondering. Well...yes...and no...The kinect is a fair start at mass production, but ultimately the kinect's detection system does NOT NEARLY have the resolution to detect the movements of individual digits. The kinect system also relies on the bouncing of infrared light off of your body and then detecting said reflected light. This means there is a pretty significant lag time between when you make that gesture and when the digital action you want to happen is actually performed. As it is right now, the kinect is but a mere shadow of what could actually be. And what's worse? It does actually already exist...in fact, it existed before the kinect and did it better than the kinect.

This system is called g-speak, and it was created by John Underkoffler. Now without going into too much detail, g-speak is a combination of the Minority Report super-future-awesome-glass-computery-thing AND the super-awesome-dragging-computery-thing that Tony Stark used in the first Ironman movie.

So simply put, IT ALL EXISTS! But, since I'm a selfish piece of ass, I say it doesn't yet exist because I DON'T HAVE ONE YET. So consider this a letter informing you, John Underkoffler, that you have an EPIC product, an AWESOME last name, and that I WANT ONE. I don't think its too much to ask to be able to point at a video file on my desktop, select it by touching my thumb to my forefinger, and then dragging it to my television across my room....so John, lets hurry up and make this happen sooner than later yeah?

Also for those of you I haven't yet bored to death with technical bullshit yet, just imagine being able play games (Starcraft, League of Legends, Team Fortress 2, Diablo) by using YOUR HANDS. And having the game respond INSTANTLY and ACCURATELY.

HOW CAN YOU NOT WANT THIS?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!??!?!?!??!????!

And that's what I learned today.

PS: For those of you still actually interested, here is John Underkoffler's speech from TED 2010
http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/john_underkoffler_drive_3d_data_with_a_gesture.html

It is super cool and totally worth watching.

PPS: Sorry this post isn't terribly funny...I just think this stuff is fucking cool. But what do you want? I can't be funny all the time...

No comments:

Post a Comment